We're excited to be a part of the 3rd edition of The Internet Yami-Ichi in New York! This internet-ish flea market is a gathering space for
“browsing” face-to-face. We've been spending the better part of this year of our internet, 2019, thinking about how artists find creative ways of using novel communication channels to get their messages across. Continuing off the research in our exhibition Meme Tactics, we're bringing hacks, tricks, and slides that amplify underhead voices from mainland China & beyond.
COME ! IT'S GONNA BE GREAT !!
November 30, 2019 from 11 am to 6 pm
NOWHERE, 40 Wooster St, SoHo, NYC, U.S.A
~ free entrance ~
We're bringing lots of serious and silly artist and activist-made items:
- ^ Amy Suo Wu's Thunderclap ribbons and QR code clothing tags to spread He-Yin Zhen's radical anarchist feminist texts from 1907 ^
- Feminist Joy grass mud horse pins & hoodies to support current day feminists in mainland China
- v Shanghai Community Radio luxury internet slides! 拖鞋 for the aspiring or established DJs who want to amplify SHCR's Bilibili streams v
- v 王宇琛 meltingwang's stickers, flag, stickers, and negative energy eyewear: 火烧眉毛 the fire is singeing the eyebrows & 泪如雨下 tears fall like rain, modeled by our very own Residency Knowledge Exchange fellow Xu Xiaoyao v
- Diane Zhou's sheetmask stickers and riso zines Feast of Peaches & Ellipsis.
- "Feast of Peaches" is set in an alternative-future Beijing wherekoro (penis-shrinking disease) is not a collective delusion but a reality, someone realizes that a mythical Chinese fox spirit who siphons men's souls out through their genitals makes a bad friend.
- "Ellipsis" follows a Chinese egg farmer who becomes a goddess when struck through the head by a piece of hail. The comic is inspired by the characters generated by Optical Character Recognition to interpret family photos.
- Sponge Gourd Collective's People's Square zines about displacement, gentrification, and urban upheaval in Beijing
- Jason Li's Llamachicken baseballcaps
- and of course,
An Xiao Mina's must-read book From Memes To Movements!
- miscellaneous surprises, some edible, some not
- All objects are in very limited stock (resources are finite, after all) and prices are minimum suggested donations. We believe all things for sale should be priced sliding-scale based on net worth, so please be financially honest and pay what you can (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
Want to RSVP? Here are some buttons you can click to show your online enthusiasm:
"So let's turn off, log-out, and drop in, on the real world."