OPEN CALL!!! 2019 A4 International Artists’ Residency Program Returns in New Outlook
ARIE 2019 is calling for Chinese and abroad artists, curators, researchers to apply for a one to three months residency at the A4 Art Museum (Deadline February 25, 2019). We provide a round-trip plane ticket, accommodations, studio, material fees, different kinds of salons and sharing sessions and other opportunities depend on different project and cities (Chengdu, Yokohama, Bangkok); selected artists will be equipped with a program assistant and be professionally supported by the staff of the museum. Throughout the residence, artists will have the opportunities to attend assorted activities and put on a final exhibition to end this unique residency program that helps artists dive into the local social fabrics and urban spaces.
In the meanwhile, starting from 2019, A4 International Artists’ Residency Program will put emphasis on the sphere of public art, such as land art, outdoor sculptures, installations, communal art and so on. In addition to the program’s customary support, selected artists can, according to the proposal, obtain extra budget and the chance to install the final work in the public area of LuxeLake.
Chengdu is a unique city. The art here is different from that of Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou. There are not so many museums, galleries or other kinds of organizations. From the point of view of average people, there are a lot of barriers in terms of awareness and understanding contemporary art. However, Chengdu is a place which is closely bound to art with a longstanding history of culture, possessing a huge number of artists and a unique environment of artistic creation.
In terms of the A4 residency project the important part is to participate in local events and exchanges, not to only confine yourself to your own art. At the same time, the work of A4 is not limited to the city; we also cast our sights on greater China, Asia and the world in terms of the projects which are initiating and promoting.
The program mainly targets at artists or art groups with over 3 years of experience in art creation or curation, who have independent ideas and have breakthrough practices in their fields. Artists or curators should mainly come from the field of contemporary art, with no limitation on the media used for creation. flexible program by program. Please confirm with each program.
Applicants should provide their latest CVs in English, collections of representative work with picture and description, the program plan for residence, the program application form and other materials.
(1) The latest CV in English and ensure all information in the CV is accurate.
(2) Personal photo, about 1M in size.
(3) Collection of representative work should reflect the artistic quality and can fully represent the personal style of the artist. The size of easel painting picture and similar art works should be of the same viewing quality, about 1M in size and named in the standard order (name of the artist, name of the work, category/ material, size, and year). Music and similar works should provide MP3 document or website link; performance art and installation work should provide image information and descriptions with the quality of the picture and format same as described above. Work of other types can use supporting materials accordingly. All materials should be in English.
(4) Program plan during residence is a preliminary draft of art creation plan made by the artist; it may include an overall plan of the residence and requirements during the implementation of that plan such as material, space and people. Applicants can make specific creation plans for specific programs. The plan should be in English.
(5) The Residence Application Form is the major application document. Please download and fill it up. The form should be completed in English. Please download as follow: http://www.a4am.cn/data/ARIEApplicationForm2019.doc
Upon completion, please send it to Luxelakes•A4 Art Museum official email at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title as: A4 Artist in Residence International Exchange Program.
The museum was designed by American architect Antoine Predock and interior design firm DesignARC. In order to provide a diverse range of services to visitors, the museum includes a children’s education center, a public library, a lecture hall, a multimedia presentation center, artist residency studios, a museum store, and a cafe. About accommodation, now we can accept 3 artists work in A4 at the same time, they can share a living room to communicate in the apartment and also have an independent room to live.
Residence Program Introduction:
1. Place: Chengdu
2. Organizer：Luxelakes•A4 art museum
3. Duration: within 2 months, the newest plan: from April to October, 2019
4. Number of artists in residence: 4-6 artists/groups in 2019
5. Qualification of Applicants: Artists, curators, researchers from China and abroad
6. Application procedure: Applicants should provide all information and send to us
7. Selection mechanism: by the review group
(1) Flight(Return tickets): Exact amount is subject to the annual budget of that year
(2) Workshop and relevant facilities (not including laptop and electronic devices): Luxelakes•A4 art museum
(3) Accommodation (Rent of the accommodation): Luxelakes•A4 art museum
9. Artist self-payment:
Living expenses, visa fees, personal expenses, and successful eligible artist need provide the invoicing of travel insurance in the residency period.
10. Artist contribution scheme and other activities:
Participators will have the opportunities of open workshop, academic discussion, Salon talk, other educational exchange activities, and the final exhibition.
11. Environment: urban
12. Languages: English/Chinese
The A4 residency program is an important project under the umbrella of the academic/curatorial department of A4. The A4 art museum is a non-profit, private museum registered under Chinese law. The residency is funded by the sponsors of the museum.
At the moment, we provide a round-trip plane ticket, accommodations, studio, material fees, different kinds of salons and sharing sessions and other opportunities; the specifics are determined by the project of the artist and the yearly schedule of projects and events of the museum. In terms of the expenses which are covered by the artist, these change from year to year.
During the residence, participating artists should regularly provide materials to Luxelakes • A4 Art Museum for media release. The artist will have meetings and discuss the process and implementation of project with museum's staffs at the regular intervals. Participators will have the opportunities of open workshop, academic discussion, Salon talk, other educational exchange activities, and the final exhibition.
For any questions about the Artist in Residence International Exchange Program, please contact:
Luxelakes•A4 Art Museum Tel: +86 28 85761265
Address: Luxelakes • A4 Museum, Luxelakes Art Exhibition Centre, Luxelakes, Tianfu New District, Chengdu, China.